mt. marcy

blogging my way through this smoggy world


Wine Country

Sunday morning Caylan and I sniffed out great coffee and headed to Cakebread Cellers in Napa Valley. A quick backstory: this summer Caylan purchased a vintage wine from Cakebread Cellers with the understanding that when I found out the bar exam results that we would celebrate - if I passed, we'd drink the fine wine in glasses; if I failed, we'd drink it straight from the bottle. I passed, so glasses it was!

Saturday we made reservations for a tasting of Cakebread's reserve wines. We started sipping at 11 am and whew, it tasted like magic. The wines were incredibly complex - everything they could/should be.  I was afraid we ruined our palette - and I was right.

The entire highway was one giant wine store.  Beaulieu Vineyard was down the road. We tried their premium wines.  Although I have enjoyed their wines in the past, after Cakebread, it was hard turn back.

On a recommendation we dined at Bouchon in Yountville for lunch and devoured a $25 ham and cheese sandwich featured a fried egg.


We left Napa with a cheese buzz and headed to the happiest place on earth - the Jelly Belly factory. More backstory: 10 years ago the Faircloths took a family vacation to Northern California and Jelly Belly was, I'm proud/ashamed to admit, the highlight for my dad and I.  After sharing this experience with Caylan - I'm happy to report he loved it, too.  With Caylan's credit card in hand, I stocked up on five bags of Belly Flops (buy three, get two free). Muahhaha.  What's a belly flop?  Jelly Belly has strict quality standards and the beans that aren't proper get packaged and sold as flops. The funnier they look the better they taste.  Heaven! We (mostly Caylan, 'cause he is a sucker for new things) tried their nasty flavors, like - dog food, rotten egg, booger, skunk, tabasco, and pencil shavings.

Then off to Sacramento to home base at Amy and Jacob's. Since a good dog is a tired dog, we went to the dog park. Jane romped with a german shepherd and border collie.

We're responsible dog owners, which means that when Jane goes to the bathroom, we pick it up. But when there's no trashcan, we fasten it to our car window and "drive dirty."


Pardon the segue...

Amy made lasagna for dinner. It was so good to eat a home cooked meal.
Jelly Flops for dessert.

Tomorrow we're headed to San Francisco.

0 Responses to “Wine Country”

Post a Comment



© 2006 mt. marcy | Blogger Templates by GeckoandFly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
Learn how to make money online | First Aid and Health Information at Medical Health