mt. marcy

blogging my way through this smoggy world


Road trip: Day 1


Caylan and I embarked on a 30 day, 8500 mile road trip yesterday. Caylan is visiting clients  (food coop / small natural food grocer)  west of the Mississippi and Jane and I are tagging along. We bought a little wagon just for this trip (photos to come when it isn't so cold outside). 

Twelve hours of driving and 630 miles later, we survived day one!

We visited food coops in Sioux Falls and Aberdeen, SD. Then we drove into Bismarck around 8 pm. We met some friends from law school for dinner. I enjoyed a well-deserved martini. Caylan gets the federal per diem rate while we travel. To make the most of our adventure we decided to sleep in the back of the wagon with Jane. We read a Homeless Handbook online that recommended we scout a quiet spot to sleep on a residential street. The handbook said to park in between houses so that each neighbor thinks you are visiting the other's house (hilarious!). The friends who we dined with invited us to stay with them, but their apartment complex doesn't allow dogs and I couldn't stand the thought of leaving Jane in a car at 32 degrees. While I tossed and turned last night I came to a realization - homeless people sleep in parks during the day because they can't slept at night.



This morning we walked around the capital and Jane had a huge BM on the capital lawn. We picked it up so fast the bag was steaming. ND's capital is regularly named the ugliest capital in the U.S. It is also the highest building in the state. 


We breakfasted at a little german restaurant that was empty except for us. We're now at Barnes and Noble waiting for our next meeting. A food coop will soon be opening in Bismarck.

Over breakfast Caylan said, "I think we should stay in a hotel tonight." I agree. Our next stop is Billings, MT.

1 Responses to “Road trip: Day 1”

  1. # Blogger Lauren Kate

    I have no words right now- only laughter and tears from laughter!  

Post a Comment



© 2006 mt. marcy | Blogger Templates by GeckoandFly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
Learn how to make money online | First Aid and Health Information at Medical Health