mt. marcy

blogging my way through this smoggy world


Won't you be my neighbor

We bought our house in the middle of winter, but it didn't take us long to meet our next door neighbors. They are in their 80s and cute as buttons. They have lived in their house for 56 years and they know everything about the neighborhood. They have a white picket fence, so nothing goes unnoticed (on their end or ours). When Caylan was digging for the garden, our neighbors watched and gave advice (we needed a fence to keep rabbits out). They like to reminisce and tell us stories about former owners of our house. When we go out of town, I tell them, because I know they want to know. They love email!

The day we left we got this email:

Have a nice and safe trip.

I thought Caylan should know there was a big, all black
rabbit in our back yard and yours this morning, It looked
like it tried to circle around your garden and then quickly
left.  It went north across Bellview St. over by the railroad
tracks.  I think it was a tame rabbit that got loose and
considers itself "wild."  We seen it hanging around the
neighborhood last year.  It's bigger than a regular wild one.
It's a good thing you have your fence in place for your
garden.


While we were in New York we got another email from them. There had apparently been another rabbit sighting. Here's the email:
I happened to be in our backyard sitting at our
picnic table about 7 PM watching birds at our
feeders.  While there I noticed a real big, fat
rabbit over in your yard beyond your garden
at the southwest corner of your yard. The
rabbit began circling the garden fence until
he moved about 3/4 of the way around the
fence, apparently looking to see if there was
a way to get enter.  I am sorry to say that is
where he suddenly, out of the blue, dropped
over dead. He must have been pretty sick from
something he ate or had a heart attack.
I never seen anything like it.
The funeral will be tomorrow .

Your neighbors.
Caylan and I had never heard such a thing either. We were glad that our neighbor would be taking care of the dead rabbit before we got home.


When we returned, our neighbor said, "you know, that rabbit didn't die of natural causes." Oh yeah? "He died of lead poisoning?" What? How do you know that? "I shot him. I didn't want to put it in writing in case it was illegal."

1 Responses to “Won't you be my neighbor”

  1. # Blogger J Russell

    Oh my goodness! I was cracking up reading their emails. The lead poisoning was too funny. What lovely neighbors you have.  

Post a Comment



© 2006 mt. marcy | Blogger Templates by GeckoandFly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
Learn how to make money online | First Aid and Health Information at Medical Health