too many memories for one day
0 Comments Published by Mt. Marcy on Sunday, August 31, 2008 at 10:00 PM.
I joined my parents at church today. The minister, whose daughter was my arch nemesis when we lived here before, welcomed me in front of the entire congregation. During the meet and greet time when you say hello to everyone around you, he came up to me and welcome me again and said he keeps thinking about our trip to Mankato. Well, here's what happened on that lovely mission trip. . . .
There had been a tornado in Mankato, Minnesota and the church youth group was going there to serve and help rebuild. I brought along my friend, Katie J. We thought we were so much cooler than the other youth group kids. We were horrible. First of all, we were staying at a church. At one point we were supposed to stay in this room at the church, Katie and I "escaped" and went outside. To make fun of everyone else inside, I pressed my tush against the window. Of course, the window shattered and I had to explain to the other church's minister what happened. He was surprisingly okay with it and said they were going to be replacing the windows soon anyways. Next Katie and I met some of the youth from our host church. Since we didn't like the crowd we came with, we decided to hang out with them. We told no one and away we went to watch a movie with them. We justified it in our heads, saying that we were still with a youth group- it just wasn't ours. After chilling with them, we got dropped off back at the church. Surprise, surprise- the leaders of my church were furious. I thought they would call our parents to have them come pick us up, but they didn't. Our punishment was to cook dinner for the rest of the group. We thought that was great! We had a blast making spaghetti for everyone else.
This evening I came across the blog of a seventh grade friend of mine from when my family lived in Mississippi. I was shocked to see my name in the second paragraph. The story she tells is a classic. Mr. Skinner was our math teacher and Dawn was his fiancee. Click here to read her rendition.

0 Responses to “too many memories for one day”
Post a Comment