mt. marcy

blogging my way through this smoggy world


Meet Jane

This Sunday was basically the best day of my life. In Texas, I had two different roommates, both owned great danes. I loved Rainier and Bradley as if they were my own. When I moved back to ND for law school I said goodbye to them and the rents said no dogs allowed. So for the last 3.5 years, a dog has been missing from my life.

Caylan is also a dog lover, but he always had small dogs. We decided to get a dog and choose the breed together. There is not a dog or breed I don't love, but I kept going back to danes. After talking with Rev, who owned Bradley, a beautiful and well bread dane, and who adopted Claire a quirky dachshund from the local no-kill shelter, I decided to look into rescue danes.

In mid-February I came across the MN/WI Great Dane Rescue and saw a 2 year old blue dane named Velvet in Siren, WI. I didn't have any intentions to visit her until Caylan's sister said she was getting married in Siren, WI and wanted Caylan and I to go with her to Siren to help her with some wedding planning. Siren? I knew that name! The rescue's website said you had to fill out the application and be approved before meeting the dogs. The application looked long, so I decided to just email and plead for a visit with Velvet before filling out the application. I told them how I had lived with great danes, how I was graduating from law school, and how Caylan and I were engaged and moving to Winona. Apparently, I made a good case for ourselves, because the rescue association said that we could visit Velvet, although it was against protocol.

On Monday we went to Siren and met Velvet. The foster parent lives on a few acres and had 8 rescued danes at her home. We walk in and 6 of the 8 danes are barking their heads off from inside their crates. Velvet was not. The foster parent opened Velvet's door and Velvet quietly came up to us, sniffed us, and immediately rolled on her back for a tummy rub. Velvet knew how to sit and lay down, too. She was gentle, snuggly, and petite (for a dane). It was love at first sight. Caylan and I were not intending to get a dog until I moved to Winona in May. The foster parent explained that Velvet was abandoned on a rural road in SD and that she was picked up by animal control. Animal control after a month of trying to locate her family, and realizing that she was purebred, called the closest great dane rescue, which was the MN/WI one. Velvet was then placed with the rescue in Siren. Velvet had been in Siren for a month and there were two families ahead of us in the adoption process. The foster parent said that it was a first-come-first-serve basis, but that they consider best fit, too.

After meeting Velvet on Monday, I asked Caylan what he thought. He was in love and we filled out the application that night. I have adopted cats from human societies, and they just let you pick out which one you want and go on your merry way. This was not like that. We had to disclose what we would feed her, where she would sleep, what she would do during the day, when we were on vacation, how much were we willing to spend on vet care, they needed references, and would require a home visit. Good grief! Funny enough, we said we would feed her Purina Pro Plan (because that is what Texas A&M Veterinarian School recommended), and they sent an email about why that was no good (has gluten) and that they recommend BARF (biologically appropriate raw food). (We are now looking into raw-food wholesalers :)

Our references were called and we had our home inspection on Saturday. The home visit was great. This rescue volunteer drove 2 hours to visit our home and she brought her two danes to show us what it would feel like to have such a large dog in our house. It felt like home.

Saturday night while at dinner with friends, we found out that we were approved. Sunday morning we left at 6 am to drive 3 hrs to Siren to pick up sweet Jane. We chose to name her Jane because we wanted a sweet name that would not scare or intimidate people. We considered sticking with her foster parent's name, Velvet, but after assurance that from the foster mother that she was not attached to that name, we chose Jane. Caylan doesn't like full names for dogs, but I like to think her name is Jane Velvet Larscloth.

Between meeting Jane on Monday and picking her up on Sunday, Caylan and I read Cesar Millan's book, Cesar's Way, to prepare us for our new family member. Although she is petite and gentle, she is also big and strong. We want her to have good manners and to not hurt anyone. Cesar's Way has given us the means and confidence to be her pack leader. Yes we are aware that Cesar's methods are controversial,; yes we still choose to follow his teachings. Exercise first, then discipline, lastly affection.

Sunday was a big (and I am sure stressful and terrifying) day for Jane. We spent some time with her before committing to the adoption. Before leaving Siren, she had stitches from her spaying removed and she was microchipped. She had a hard time saying goodbye to her sweet foster mother and kept running back to her to give her a hug. I, too, hugged the foster mother and with a lump in my throat told her what a special day this was for us and that we thanked her for all she had done for Velvet. Once in the car, however, Jane was happy as a clam. Unlike Bradley, she loves the car. She rested her heavy head on our shoulders while we drove, then she fell asleep with her front legs crossed in the back.

On the way home we stopped at Caylan's dad and stepmother's house to see Caylan's sister, who was beyond ecstatic to be Jane's auntie. (Scarlett owns Zora, a chihuahua). Caylan's stepmother, not so much. I think it is safe to say that she is terrified to welcome Jane into the family. Whatev. While in Minneapolis we took Jane on our first family walk. It was obvious the leash was a new phenomenon for her, but as our pack family migrated (thank you, Cesar) Jane slowly learned to heel and walk next to us, not in front of us.

After visiting the Larsons, we drove home to Winona. Jane explored her new home, we grabbed burritos and walked to a lake that is a few blocks from our home. Jane gets a little fixated on squirrels and small dogs, but with a little redirection and discipline we are able to remind her that we are the pack leaders and that she doesn't need to look out for us.

I was on the verge of tears of happiness all day Sunday, but for Jane's sake I held it together (in Cesar's words, Jane needs a stable, calm, assertive leader). I left Jane and Caylan at 8:30 p. Caylan is now a single doggy dad. He is doing fabulously. Jane whimpered when he put her in her crate for bed. They went on an hour long walk this morning and after breakfast cuddled on the floor together before Caylan headed to work and Jane to her crate. I miss them dearly, but I know she is in good hands with Caylan. I'll see them in a few weeks when Caylan comes to ND for a meeting.

Here are some picks from our first hours together.




4 Responses to “Meet Jane”

  1. # Blogger Mt. Marcy

    Dad and I can't wait to meet Jane!
    Love,mom  

  2. # Blogger KClevenger

    Great post! So excited for your new family member :)  

  3. # Blogger Lauren Kate

    So happy for y'all! Miss Layla Lou Ribelin is so happy to welcome Miss Jane Velvet Larscloth to the group! I teared up reading your post several times. You were always so good with Ranier and Bradley- Jane will be no different.

    How would A&M be wrong about dog food?! Who would have thought ;-) Layla eats some organic dog food that Tim researched. I've never heard of BARF before- you'll have to blog about that.

    I laughed out loud when I read that "...in Cesar's words, Jane needs a stable, calm, assertive leader." I seriously doubt that Layla has that in myself and Tim! ;-)

    I cannot wait until y'all are together permanently as a happy family of three. Cheers to Jane the Dane!  

  4. # Blogger the roache hotel

    big congratulations!! she seems so very sweet and perfect.  

Post a Comment



© 2006 mt. marcy | Blogger Templates by GeckoandFly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
Learn how to make money online | First Aid and Health Information at Medical Health