. . . or maybe I was never tough. The current temperature in Grand Forks, North Dakota (where I went to high school) is negative 22 degrees with a wind chill making it feel like it's negative 40. The current temperature in Waco is 28 degrees and I am in my house, with the heater going, bundled up with a scarf, hat, jacket and the only reason my mittens are off is for typing.
I have been in Texas eight years now, making it my second longest stay since North Carolina, which lasted ten years. North Dakota was five bitterly cold years. I swam year round and in the winter when I would dash from the pool to my car, my eye lashes and hair would freeze. Not to mention your nostril hair freezes daily. I wore long johns under everything and was always bundled up. We had a gas fireplace and once I burned a hole in my socks because I had my feet so close to the screen and for so long.
Now I'm making it sound like it wasn't a good time. But that's not true. Just because it was cold didn't mean it wasn't enjoyable. High school and college hockey were the winter entertainment. It was a really safe town, where no one locked their doors and if you ran into the grocery store, you left your car running (yes, with the keys in the ignition!) As they say, thirty below keeps the riffraff out.
There were outlets by the spaces in parking lots and in garages where you could plug you car in so the battery didn't freeze.
Dearest mother used to say, it's as cold as a witch's titty. Perhaps that should be the name of her blog :)
I have been in Texas eight years now, making it my second longest stay since North Carolina, which lasted ten years. North Dakota was five bitterly cold years. I swam year round and in the winter when I would dash from the pool to my car, my eye lashes and hair would freeze. Not to mention your nostril hair freezes daily. I wore long johns under everything and was always bundled up. We had a gas fireplace and once I burned a hole in my socks because I had my feet so close to the screen and for so long.
Now I'm making it sound like it wasn't a good time. But that's not true. Just because it was cold didn't mean it wasn't enjoyable. High school and college hockey were the winter entertainment. It was a really safe town, where no one locked their doors and if you ran into the grocery store, you left your car running (yes, with the keys in the ignition!) As they say, thirty below keeps the riffraff out.
There were outlets by the spaces in parking lots and in garages where you could plug you car in so the battery didn't freeze.
Dearest mother used to say, it's as cold as a witch's titty. Perhaps that should be the name of her blog :)

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
You'll have to give me tips on how to stay warm when I move! I can't believe TX has been your second longest stay!
I would like to take a moment to say how much I love ND!
:)