mt. marcy

blogging my way through this smoggy world


It's not dirty


My blog name is not supposed to be dirty. I realize that mt marcy may sound sexual, but it's really not meant to. My parents were not hippies (that I am aware of) but they did name me after a mountain, Mount Marcy is in the Aderondacks in New York.

As the story goes, after for two miserable days of being bitten by black flies and trudging up this mountain alongside my father my mother had two epiphanies. One: she didn't have to climb just because my dad enjoyed it, since she didn't make him cross-stitch since she enjoyed that. ...and Two: she would name her first daughter Marcy, in hopes that she would be independent.

I've always liked my name, especially since there were no Marcys in any of my classes. Over Christmas I was shopping at the mall and a mother corrected her sweet Marcy by yelling her name. I immediately perked up to see what I had done wrong to learn it was directed at a little girl. They noticed my reaction, I told them my name and we all laughed about it. I have always had a need to be different, so it's a good thing my name isn't Emily or Christy.

Thanks folks!

PS, the picture is of Mount Marcy. One day I'll make it there.

4 Responses to “It's not dirty”

  1. # Anonymous Anonymous

    Enjoyed learning how you got your name and how you named your blog. Wonder if your mother would like hiking it with you? Did your parents'marriage last despite that bump in the road?  

  2. # Blogger Lauren Kate

    I have always adored your name and the story behind it...it is as unique are you are. One day you'll be there...  

  3. # Blogger Mt. Marcy

    Dear anonymous, who are you?

    My mom would most likely do a day hike, since she's not keen of tent camping. But she doesn't have what we call good "expedition behavior", so I'd actually rather hike it with my dad.

    Parents marriage is still going strong after 37 years (I think). They were high school sweethearts and have one of those relationships others admire. Several have told me that they're individually great, but the combo is the best. I agree.  

  4. # Anonymous Anonymous

    Marcy would be a long day hike, if remember right it's about 17 miles round trip. The area is beautiful though!  

Post a Comment



© 2006 mt. marcy | Blogger Templates by GeckoandFly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
Learn how to make money online | First Aid and Health Information at Medical Health