mt. marcy

blogging my way through this smoggy world


« Home | Oink, oink » | Again » | test »

The ABCs of the real world

Today I went to an insurance seminar. The speaker was from a consulting company with a name like Strategic Solutions Consulting. While most of the things the speaker discussed were generic, I was interested in one thing, the ABC's of employment. There are three types of employees: A, B and C.

A employees give off positive energy, have a "can-do" attitude, and are self motivated.
B employees only do what is status-quo, have rigid ideas of their job duties and believe they should be rewarded for doing what they're assigned to do, not for performing above and beyond.
C employees have never been at fault for anything and have a negative attitude.

B & C employees have job security until someone better comes along.

My team at work as one C employee, three Bs and maybe two As (I did not include my personal grade) . This seminar has got me thinking about what kind of employee I am. I hope I am an A, but sometimes I can act like a B, especially when I don't want to do something that is out of my realm of duties...like scanning and making copies. Mostly, I think I'm better than those duties. Sometimes when I am standing over the copier I have to remind myself that I have a college education. I think to myself, "are they really paying me five big digits to copy insurance policies?"

This is also motivation for law school. Yikes! If I make it into law school, pass the bar and somehow find a way to become a practicing attorney, I bet I will find a way to get a job where I am making copies for the firm partners.

Great, now I am starting to sound like a C employee.

3 Responses to “The ABCs of the real world”

  1. # Blogger Lauren Kate

    I'm not ashamed and quite proud to an Employee B! I know you're not shocked by this!!  

  2. # Blogger the roache hotel

    dude, overachieving is in your DNA, it won't ever change. you were born an A employee.  

  3. # Anonymous Anonymous

    M,

    I think you are an A and I think that is commendable. Some will say that one does not need to reward a racehorse because that horse will always want to run. However, you are like a puppy and love to have your ears rubbed and told what a good dog you are. You're A+ to me.  

Post a Comment



© 2006 mt. marcy | Blogger Templates by GeckoandFly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
Learn how to make money online | First Aid and Health Information at Medical Health