The entire state of ND is under a flood watch. The temperature has been above freezing, the snow started melting, and it's been raining. Tonight and Wednesday we are under a winter storm warning. Crazy ND weather.
Fargo and Bismarck are bracing for record breaking river crests. Grand Forks is okay. We had a 500 year flood in '97 and built a giant dike, so we can handle the rising waters. UND and the Grand Forks high schools have been sending volunteers down to Fargo to help with sandbagging. I haven't gone, but it brings back memories of '97 when the city called off high school for the students to help sandbag. As a high school student, we thought sandbagging was grand. Besides not having to go to school- we worked hard, got dirty, and loved the free food.
In 1997 I was in 9th grade. The entire city (50,000) was evacuated. My mom was the nursing supervisor at the nursing home, so she had to evacuate all the residents (helicopters galore). The night we evacuated we slept on the floor of a small church outside of town. The next day was Sunday and a family from the air force base (also, outside of town) took us in. School was cancelled for the rest of the year, so I went to Mississippi and lived with my best friend and finished school down there.
While GF isn't in trouble this year, other places are. So keep the rest of the state in your prayers. Here are some pictures from the 1997 flood.

Fargo and Bismarck are bracing for record breaking river crests. Grand Forks is okay. We had a 500 year flood in '97 and built a giant dike, so we can handle the rising waters. UND and the Grand Forks high schools have been sending volunteers down to Fargo to help with sandbagging. I haven't gone, but it brings back memories of '97 when the city called off high school for the students to help sandbag. As a high school student, we thought sandbagging was grand. Besides not having to go to school- we worked hard, got dirty, and loved the free food.
In 1997 I was in 9th grade. The entire city (50,000) was evacuated. My mom was the nursing supervisor at the nursing home, so she had to evacuate all the residents (helicopters galore). The night we evacuated we slept on the floor of a small church outside of town. The next day was Sunday and a family from the air force base (also, outside of town) took us in. School was cancelled for the rest of the year, so I went to Mississippi and lived with my best friend and finished school down there.
While GF isn't in trouble this year, other places are. So keep the rest of the state in your prayers. Here are some pictures from the 1997 flood.



I heard about the flooding issue on the news last night. I was wondering if that was where you are. I'm glad that you are safe. :)